The immune system – like many in this word… These are paraphrased words of a classic have a right to exist, because it is the body’s immune system is the guardian of our health, not letting the “invaders” – germs and viruses. A strong immune system is the basis of good health, but if the immune system weakens and the person becomes weak and vulnerable to the influences of the world. Let’s see what the immune system making it strong or weak, how to strengthen the immune system and not to succumb to seasonal Blues.
So what is immunity?
The human immune system – organized layered structure, constantly reacting to the many endogenous and exogenous agents, irritation signals. It operates in close connection with the nervous, endocrine and autonomic nervous systems, with the surrounding organs and tissues. Accordingly, during failures in the functioning of the immune system will suffer and other internal organs and systems, and Vice versa, disorder, or pathological condition of the nervous, endocrine, digestive, urinary, reproductive and other organ systems will lead to the disruption of the functioning of the immune system.
With the immune system understood. What is immunity and how does it work? It scared him weakening and may strengthen with drugs, which are widely advertised in the media?
Let’s start with the fact that the immune system is the body’s ability to react (resist) the invasion of bacteria, viruses, fungi, etc. from the outside, as well as malignant transformation of the cells. First on alien invasion of a microorganism reacting cells-macrophages that recognize antigens (specific proteins of microbial membranes). Information about the antigen, receive T-helper cells (a type of lymphocytes), which after processing transfer information to other types of lymphocytes – killer T and b cells. In turn, these lymphocytes produce antibodies that bind foreign antigens (b-lymphocytes) or simply kill foreign agents (T-killers). So triggers the immune system to invasion of pathogens. It should be noted that some of the antigens is innate as acquired and fixed in the process of evolution. We are talking about the so-called species immunity. At the same time acquired immunity is formed only in the process of life of a particular person after contact with antigens throughout life.
Unfortunately, it is not always the immune system works perfect.
Sometimes the immune system fails and starts to actively destroy our own cells – there are autoimmune diseases (diabetes type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.). If reduced activity of any of the representatives of cellular immunity, impaired specific immunity (e.g., tumor development on the background of violations of anti-tumor immunity). But if the activity of the immune protection becomes excessive, there are allergic diseases (hay fever, hives, etc.).
Let us understand which characteristics allow to recognize abnormalities in the immune system that leads to it and how to deal with it.
Signs of easing of protective forces of an organism
The immune system, as well as cardiovascular, digestive, and any other, maybe “sick” and worse to deal with their responsibilities. There are many specific diseases of the immune system, but we will not dwell on them, and will tell only one occurring more often. We will focus on immunodeficiency in which the major components of the immune system is either not active enough or simply not enough of them (in quantitative terms). Of course, to determine the “viability” of immunity can only be an immunologist, but there are a number of symptoms which may indicate a decrease in the protective forces of the body:
- re infectious diseases (otitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis, candidiasis, etc.);
- colds, repeated more than 4 times per year;
- the presence of chronic inflammatory diseases;
- dysbacteriosis of the intestine;
- allergic diseases;
- the chronic fatigue syndrome.
Sure you know this state when, in spite of the correct order of the day (sufficient sleep and rest), fatigue does not pass, there are no forces, everything goes wrong. At the same surrounding all the time: work, lead an active lifestyle, vigorous and cheerful. The fact is that you did not care about their health, the immune system is weakened (reduced), and that has endlessly to cure common cold and cough, struggling to get out in the morning out of bed and forget about the joys of life.
Why “reduced” immunity?
- The reasons for the weakening of the immunity a lot. Let’s consider the main:
- First, disruption of the normal intestinal flora leads to the fact that the necessary nutrients are not absorbed in the intestine, but instead are absorbed toxic substances, products of rotting and fermentation, the waste products of microorganisms. It contributes to the violation of protective mechanisms of intestinal mucosa
- Second, chronic infectious and infectious-inflammatory diseases of any localization (broncho-pulmonary, urinary system, etc.), lead to the fact that the immune system is constantly struggling with these chronic foci of infection and the appearance of, for example, influenza virus is incapable of effective “defense”
- Thirdly, irrational, poor the necessary vitamins, microelements and other biologically active substances nutrition leads to weakening of the immune system. After all, in order to ensure the effective functioning of all organs and systems, including the immune, the body requires every day hundreds of vitally important nutrients lacking in modern foods. Our body (in normal conditions) is able to provide yourself with the right amount of vitamins and minerals or to develop them from Pro-vitamins contained in food. But in everyday life consisting of endless stress and malnutrition (food in suhomyatku, overeating in the evening) on the normal conditions of the body may not be considered. Here and there is a shortage of essential (it is produced only from plant proteins) amino acids from which to synthesize antibodies, vitamins and minerals (especially vitamins A, b, C, E, b group, iron, selenium, zinc)
What is the role of micronutrients in the immune system?
Trace elements represent 0.01% of the mass of the human body. The aging process, disease, intense physical exertion, bad habits – just a few factors provoking and aggravating the deficiency of trace elements. The immune system as a multicomponent and multilevel structure most sensitive to the imbalance of trace elements. The deviation of the content of macro – and micronutrients caused by these or other factors, substantially impair the health, promote the development of metabolic disturbances and reduce immune resistance of the organism, resulting in the development of various pathological processes.
In chronic diseases in lymphocytes is a shortage of magnesium, zinc and selenium. In obesity and insulin-dependent diabetes occurs intracellular imbalance of iron, cobalt, selenium, zinc. Deficiency of zinc, manganese and selenium detected in bronchial asthma. The correlation of the trace elements of selenium, iron, copper, manganese, zinc and magnesium with the function of the immune system. What answer elements:
- iron affects the formation of hemoglobin and of a number of enzymes; metabolism RNA, essential for maintaining immune status;
- zinc affects the function of enzymes involved in blood formation and the synthesis of amino acids; the activity of the pancreas and gonads; immune status; reproductive function;
- magnesium is required for activity of skeletal and cardiac muscles; antioxidant protection; formation of bones and teeth; protein, carbohydrate and fat metabolism; functioning of the nervous tissue;
- manganese influences on reproductive function; the formation of bone and cartilaginous tissues; antioxidant protection;
- copper affects immune status; an antioxidant;
- vanadium and Nickel normalize cholesterol levels, which is an important risk factor for cardiovascular disease;
- boron is involved in the metabolism of calcium, magnesium and phosphorus in bone development.
Thus it becomes clear that the deficit or excess of macro and micronutrients has a direct impact on the functioning of the organism, its resistance to diseases, and, consequently, the ability to adapt.
Better to fight the cause than the effect
To improve immunity in General is the problem. So what to do? Experts all over the world give preference to preventive medicine and this is understandable, because if the time to identify the “weak link”, you can quickly and successfully to adjust and eliminate the risk factors for the development of many diseases, including the immune system. Following the simple guidelines and adhering to the required lifestyle, you will never feel the symptoms of seasonal depression and will be able to successfully defend against the invasion of pathogens. In other words, you will defeat the disease long before they appear! Let’s start:
- To protect against exotic diseases and dangerous infections, do not neglect vaccination.
- Normalize sleep and wakefulness, as even a single temporary lack of sleep weakens the immune system.
- Learn one of the relaxation techniques, in order to effectively cope with stress and psychological pressures which inhibit the immune system.
- Lead active lifestyle, spending more time in the fresh air, keep yourself in good physical shape.
Promptly visit the doctor to effectively deal with any acute disease and do not give him to transform into a chronicle.